2016年1月5日火曜日

How Large are the Riders in Peloton Today?

ProCyclingStats.com has contributed to dramatic improvements to check professional road cycling results since its launching. I am a big fun of it.  I check their site almost everyday and imagine how other rivals compete in other races. Right after I race, I am looking forward to checking their publishing the result, not from officials because PCS's UI is far smarter everytime.

Also, I love data analysis. Actually, I worked for one year in a data science company after experiencing Champion System Cycling Team (Pro Conti) in 2013. After one-year retirement, in 2015, I am back to cycling. I struggled a lot to become fit again in 2015 and am getting better. I decided to do smarter not only harder in 2016. 

It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles ---Sun Tzu

To know my rivals, PCS is very good start point, right? I gathered Height and Weight information of Pro Tour and Pro Conti riders from their site.

Firstly I simply plotted all of them. The number of riders is 957. 800 of their height and weight are registered.

I find I am relatively short and light compared to PT/PCT guys. To tell the truth, I knew it... haha.

Secondary, I explored trends by nationality just for curiosity.


I noticed several interesting trends.
  • France, Italy, and Spain have very similar trends. See eclipses.
  • Belgium, Netherlands, and Germany also look similar.
  • British and Danish riders have smaller variety compared to others.
  • Colombian riders are apparently short and light. Probably a lot of climbers.
  • Swiss & Czech riders have wider variety.
  • Off course Japanese guys are short and light. I am not an exception.